Child Care and Development

16947 Cherokee Street Tahlequah, OK 74464


Requirements for Contract Providers

To become a contracted child care provider for the Cherokee Nation, a provider must submit an application by mail (OKDHS Licensed Providers) or in person to a Child Care Worker in one of the offices. On-site inspections will be made. Periodic monitoring visits will be made to insure continued quality of services and compliance with Health and Safety Requirements.

Licensed Child Care Centers and Child Care Homes must be currently licensed by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services. Child Care Centers must meet a minimum of a 1+Star Rating, Cherokee Nation requires the provider to complete an application with the following documents:

  • Completed application and a signed agreement
  • IRS W-9 form
  • Declaration of prior criminal convictions OKDHS Child Care
  • License
  • Star Certificate
  • Must be in substantial compliance with OKDHS Health and Safety
  • Requirements IRS FEIN letter or Social Security card

Registered Family Child Care Homes known as Exempt Relative Providers are the grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, or adult sibling not living in the home of the child. The relationship can be by blood or marriage. Relative Providers are exempt from DHS licensing. Registered providers must meet the tribes Health and Safety Standards of Operation and Quality of Service. Periodic monitoring visits are made. Documents include:

  • Completed application and signed agreement
  • Form IRS W-9 form as an independent contractor
  • Declaration of Prior Criminal Convictions Authorization for OSBI Background Check
  • Proof of Residence
  • Driver’s License and Social Security Card
  • Address Verification

“Reaching for the Stars” Program

Reaching for the Stars was developed to help parents identify quality child care programs more easily. The Department of Human Services requires that licensed child care programs meet additional quality criteria in order to be rated with two-or-three stars.
Please visit https://oklahoma.gov/okdhs/services/child-care-services/qris/resources.html for more information about the Stars Rating System.

Provider Assistance

Do you need help or information on the Stars system, accreditation, licensing information, or have questions about child care? We can help you find the answer. We have staff who are knowledgeable on child care, and have access to the internet and lots of informational files. We also offer technical assistance by telephone or on-site to help assist you with questions relating from room arrangement to implementing lesson plans.

Helpful links for Providers